Chinese New Year in Madrid
Year of the Monkey Celebrations 2016!
Chinese New Year celebrations are becoming quite popular in Madrid where there is a sizable Chinese population.
The suburb of Lavapies
regularly hosts events and some years there are major celebrations in the capital organized by various sponsors, the Chinese Embassy and
the Chinese Cultural Centre.
In 2016, the main events will take place on the second weekend of the New Year at Plaza de España. The celebrations typically include the Dragon
Dances, Kung Fu exhibitions, as well as a market with traditional handycrafts.
When: Saturday and Sunday February 20-21, 2016
Where: Plaza de España
How Much: FREE
More Info (en español).
More celebrations in Madrid to welcome the Year of the Monkey in 2016:
- Activities at the Chinese Cultural Center in Madrid - General Pardiñas 73, 28006
- Exposition "Happy Chinese New Year" - February 5 - 29, 2016
- Chinese New Year Concert with the Guangdong Folk Orchestra - February 5, 2016 7:00 pm
- Chinese Film Series: "The Great Teacher" - February 12, 2016 - 6:00 pm
- Open Door Day "Happy Chinese New Year" - February 17, 2016
- Book Fair Chinese Authors - February 18, 2016 - 5:00 pm a 9:00 pm
- Chinese Film Series: "The Missing Bullet" - February 19, 2016 - 6:00 pm
- Chinese Film Series: "The Rise of King Kung Fu Sun" - February 26, 2016 - 6:00 pm
Previous Celebrations in Madrid in Pictures!
Our friends at
who frequent this annual event have contributed these images and had this to report:
The celebrations started with a parade from Puerta del Sol where the participating associations gathered and marched on to
Plaza de España. Participants included the many Chinese Associations, sports clubs and other educational groups,
dressed in traditional garb and the elders sporting imperial robes.
The Parade ended at Plaza de España where there were many shows, a small market with traditional Chinese crafts, and Kung Fu
exhibitions by the Shaolin Temple Cultural Centre.
The day of the celebration varies from year to year but is most likely on a weekend close to the actual
Lunar New Year's Day, either before or after.
Tell us how You celebrated Chinese New Year.
How others are celebrating Chinese New Year around the world.
China Family Adventure Stores - Your source for children books, activity books, stickers, stencils, crafts, music, kitchen and chinese cooking utensils and more...