Try this Chinese Paper Lantern, great for hanging and only takes a little paper, some tape,
a hole puncher, some string or curly ribbon and a little folding!
This is a very versatil rhomboid-shaped hanging lantern. Easiest paper to manage is a light scrapbook or origami paper.
It also works beautifully with lighter paper for a more delicate look, i.e. tissue paper, and also if you want to
light them from the inside. The lighter the paper though, the harder it is
for the kids to handle it.
You can try it first with regular white paper to "practice" and get the hang of it and experiment with different sizes as well.
They are quite easy to make in a few minutes.
Make An Easy Paper Lantern in 5 easy steps
These beautiful Chinese paper lanterns require very common materials you are likely to already have at home and a few easy steps:
- One sheet red paper 8 X 14
- Glue or double-sided tape
- Hole puncher
- Gold String, Chord, or Curly Ribbon
- Fold the red paper along the length in half
- Start folding pleats, about 1/2 or 3/4 inch wide, accordion style
- We need to make two small cuts that will make it easier later on when we have to put together the sides
- Make a small cut on both sides right on the fold, up to the first pleat on either side
- Take the folded "accordion" and punch a hole right at the edge of the side where the ends meet (not the end where the fold is)
- Open and unfold the "accordion"
- Cut two pieces of the gold ribbon, string or chord
- Thread each string through the punched holes on each side
- Tighten the string at both ends and tie a bow
- Fasten the sides together with glue or double-sided tape.
Your Lantern is ready to hang!
More Easy Chinese Crafts - Try these next!
Most Popular Excursions