It is a long upheld Chinese tradition and custom to hang bright red banners and signs
with messages of good luck and fortune for the New Year.
find them at the entrances of homes flanking the doors as well as all around town.
You can make your own to decorate
your room, hang them in the living room or by your entrance door so that the first thing your guests see
when they come visit is a cheery Chinese new year greeting wishing them good fortune and prosperity in the coming year.
We will make some very simple signs and write on them our "Good Luck" message in Chinese.
Let's get started!
- One sheet red paper
- One sheet gold paper
- Hole puncher
- Red or gold string, cord, yarn, or gift ribbon to hang it
- Black or Gold Marker
- Cut the red paper into a small 5" to 6" diamond-shaped square
- Cut the gold paper an inch or so bigger than the red one
- Glue the red square onto the middle of the gold square
- Punch a hole in one of the corners
- Cut some string, yarn, or cord, and thread it through the hole
- Adjust string to the desired length to hang the sign and tie a bow or knot
Popular Chinese New Year Greetings and Good Luck Messages
These are some of the most popular Chinese New Year Greetings used in posters and banners for
good luck and prosperity in the new year.
Click on each individual symbol to learn how to write the Chinese characters stroke by stroke.
For phrases with two or more characters, it is common to write them vertically from top to bottom. These are used alongside doors and gates
to greet your visitors. Here are some simple ones to get started:
And here are some more common Chinese New Year Greetings and how to wish someone a Happy New Year.
More Easy Chinese Crafts - Try these next!
You can decorate easily with traditional or battery-operated lanterns, paper cuttings, lucky coins and banners to add a splash to the celebrations!
More Chinese New Year Traditions and Celebrations
Most Popular Excursions