Make this gorgeous Chinese Dragon Craft to add a touch of good fortune and wealth to your home! Chinese Dragons are
symbols of wealth, wisdom, power and nobility, they are a must to welcome the New Year and at all
Chinese celebrations. Chinese Dragons are the ultimate "good luck" symbol!
Here we show you how to make this red and gold Chinese dragon, you can use it as decoration and it also makes a cute puppet.
Although all the steps are quite simple, it does take a little time since there is a lot of cutting and glueing together but the results are
definitely worth it!
You can stick with the traditional red and gold theme as well as experiment with different colors, patterns and types of paper for
more lively variations. Origami paper in oriental motifs also works nicely.
We have included templates you can use to trace all the different parts you will need to build the dragon.
So let's get started!
- Red paper for the body and head
- Paper in a variety of colors, textures, patterns, gold, red, origami, etc.
- Pencil and Black Marker
- Scissors with fun shape
- Hole puncher
- Paper/envelope fasteners
- Bamboo Chopsticks
- Trace and cut in red paper:
- Head 2 pieces
- Body 4 pieces
- Tail 2 pieces
- In gold or white paper:
- In black paper (optional, you can simply draw it with a black marker)
Step 3 - Making the Body and Tail:
- Cut stripes of color paper about one inch wide using the
fun shape scissors.
- Use a variety of colors, textures, patterns, for a striking look
- Glue the stripes to the body and tail, mixing colors and patterns, make sure it covers the body and don't worry about
any excess, it will be trimmed on the next step.
- Before you start glueing, pay special attention to which side of the body or tail to glue, you will need one front and one back piece rather
than two of the same.
- Cut any excess paper
- Repeat with remaining body and tail pieces
- Cut small triangles of red paper and glue a few pieces to the top of the body from the inside
- Do the same with the tail
- Tape one chopstick to the back of one of the tail pieces
- Glue together both front and back pieces for the tail and body
Step 8 - Putting the Dragon head together:
- Cut the eye or just draw it with a black marker
- Cut the nostril or just draw it with a black marker
- Cut the teeth and glue to one side only from the inside
- Now let's decorate the head and make it a bit more colorful
- Cut small "flame-like" pieces, same shape as the eye but smaller, in all the different papers
- Glue to the head to create the "mane" of the dragon
- Tape the other chopstick to the inside of the head
- Glue the front and back of the head together, chopstick is in between.
Step 11 - Putting the Dragon Together:
- You should now have all four pieces ready
- Punch holes on the segments to put them together
- The back of the head
- Both ends of both body parts
- The front of the tail
- Join the segments using the paper fasteners
through the holes
Your Chinese Dragon is ready!
Chinese Dragons are lucky symbols, here's to Good Fortune and Prosperity!
To learn more about Chinese Dragons click here!
More Easy Chinese Crafts - Try these next!
More Chinese New Year Traditions and Celebrations
Most Popular Excursions