Chinese Paper Fans make great decorations for the Chinese New Year holidays or any Chinese
celebration for that matter.
Here's how to make a very simple one in seven easy steps, only need some red and gold paper,
a little folding and you have an awesome decorative piece for the holiday!
Make a Paper Fan in Seven Easy Steps
- One sheet red paper
- One sheet gold paper
- Regular Scissors
- Scissors with fun shape (optional)
- Gold gift ribbon, curly ribbon, cord, string or similar
- Use the fun shape scissors to trim along the top and bottom edge of the red paper (the longer side of the paper)
- Cut two stripes of gold paper using the fun-shaped scissors
- Glue the gold stripes to both ends of the red paper, try to keep the same distance from the
top and bottom edges
- Starting from one end, fold pleats accordion style, about 3/4" apart along the whole length
- With pleats together, fold fan in half
- Glue the middle together
- On the bottom pleat, use the scissors to cut a little knick, with pleat folded to make
a tiny hole
- Open the pleat and thread a piece of gold ribbon through it.
- Fold the pleat back, tie a little bow or knot or use the ribbon for hanging
- Your fan is ready!
About Chinese Fans
Chinese fans have been used for centuries. No one really knows how they originated, it could have
been something as simple as Chinese farmers using a leaf or something similar to swat the flies that were
bothesome then finding out that the motion actually provided some relief from the blistering heat. But, however the
practice started, fans did become very popular, not only for gentle breezes or keeping bugs away, but also as a
fashion statement. Silk fans and fans made of feathers gave way later on to the fine and delicate sandalwood fans that
are so loved by the Chinese today for the gentle scent they give off.
Nowadays, they are also used as decorative pieces.
More Easy Chinese Crafts - Try these next!
Most Popular Excursions