The Chinese community, the cities of Richmond and Vancouver, the business community and the various cultural organizations and sponsors come together to put on a series of magnificent celebrations and events to welcome the Lunar New Year in spectacular fashion.
There is a fabulous Spring Festival Parade through the streets of Chinatown, lively street fairs and markets and dazzling cultural performances throughout the city where restaurants, shopping centers, cultural venues and libraries join in the celebrations.
Vancouver Chinese New Year Celebration Highlights 2019
Welcoming The Year Of The Pig
There is so much going on in the area, and thankfully, this year both cities have teamed up to make it easier for all of us to find what is happening where. Check out the Vancouver / Richmond Lunar New Year Website for a complete listing of all events!
Vancouver Chinatown Spring Festival Parade
This is Vancouver's Chinese New Year signature event and features the largest assembly of traditional lion dance teams in Canada and of course dozens of performing troupes, acrobats, marching bands, cultural performers and parading dragons.
When: Sunday, February 10, 2019 - 11:00 am - 1:30 pm
Where: Streets of Vancouver Chinatown. The route starts at the Millennium Gate on Pender Street (between Shanghai Alley and Taylor Street), proceeds east along Pender Street, turns south onto Gore Street, turns west onto Keefer Street and then disperses on Keefer at Abbott.
How Much: FREE!
More Info and Parade Map: www.cbavancouver.ca/
Year of the Pig Celebrations at Aberdeen Centre
Lots going on here throughout the New Year period:
- Flower & Gift Fair - January 30 - February 5, 2019 during mall hours
- Chinese New Year's Countdown - February 4, 2019 at the Central Atrium from 8:30 pm, countdown at midnight
- Golden Dragon and Lion Dance - February 5, 2019 at the Outdoor Courtyard at 11:00 am, store-to-store lion visits from 12:15 pm
- Chinese New Year Cultural Showcase - February 9 - 10, 2019 at the Central Atrium. This year featuring concerts with the BC Chinese Music Association and the Vancouver Youth Philharmonic Orchestra and performances by the Vancouver Academy of Dance and Colors of Dance Academy
Where?: Aberdeen Centre at 9160 Steveston Hwy, Richmond, BC
How Much?: FREE
More Info: www.aberdeencentre.com
Chinese New Year at Buddhist International Temple
On its own worth a visit, this is a gorgeous temple modelled after Beijing's Forbidden City, and during the Chinese New Year festivities, it comes to life with a bustling and colorful traditional New Year Flower Bazaar, auspicious windmills, late-night snacks and foods and more.
A great day to visit is on New Year's Eve when people from all walks of life come to pray for good fortune and pay their respects. Traditional blessing couplets, auspicious flowers, snacks and foods will abound.
When?: Chinese New Year's Eve Blessing Ceremony - February 4, 2019 from 10:00 pm to 1:00 am New Year's Day
Where?: International Buddhist Temple at 9160 Steveston Hwy, Richmond, BC
How Much?: FREE
More Info: www.buddhisttemple.ca/
Lunar New Year at International Village
- Arts Festival, CNY Booths and Exhibits - February 8 - 10, 2019 at International Arts Gallery
- Chinese New Year Celebration: opening ceremony, stage performances and lion dances - Saturday February 9, 2019
The Spring Festival Parade on February 10 starts at the Millenium Gate outside the Yokoyaya entrance of the International Village Mall on Pender Street.
Where?: International Village Mall at Unit 2083 - 88 Pender Street West Vancouver, BC
How Much?: FREE
More Info: www.internationalvillagemall.ca
Chinese New Year Celebrations Around The World
You can decorate easily with traditional or battery-operated lanterns, paper cuttings, lucky coins and banners to add a splash to the celebrations!
More Chinese New Year Traditions and Celebrations
Most Popular Excursions